Musing on food and cooking ...

Friday, November 16, 2007

When is a Lobster not a Lobster?

My super-local supermarket had an advertisement this week for live lobsters 5-7, at $2.99 each. Small lobsters at $2.99 are not far-fetched for someone who lived on the East Coast for a while. It would normally be $2.99 a pound, but a small lobsters is not much over a pound. Plus, if I went to the local Italian fishmonger, I could flirt with the boys, and they would often knock extra off for me.

So I was terribly excited about the $2.99 live lobster sale. i adore lobster. I miss it terribly. The first time I looked at lobster here in Illinois and saw two tails for almost $70, I just about died.

I went to the store and was at the fish counter, looking for the lobster tank. I saw the sign announcing the sale, but no tank. So I looked closer. And it turns out they definitely weren't live. They were on ice in the fish counter. And they definitely weren't lobsters. They were essentially large langoustines. Which are only lobsters by the greatest stretch of the imagination.

So I went away denied and unfullfilled. I simple must get back to Maine next summer, hopefully for Lobster Fest.....

4 comments:

Brave Sir Robin said...

yeah, they sell pre-cooked frozen langoustines tails around here as "lobster"

joshhill1021 said...

Silly girl thinking you will find lobsters outside of Maine. I don't even try here in NC.

Anonymous said...

Chris' brother and sister in law want to come out for lobster fest this year. Better make reservations ahead of time!

GourmetGoddess said...

Somehow, I will make this happen! They'll let me bring my tent on the airplane right?