Musing on food and cooking ...

Monday, November 19, 2007

A Deer?

So as many dear readers know, I was supposed to start my vacation on Saturday, but due to the machinations of the US DOE, I am required to stay here until at least Tuesday. I truly hope to be able to head home on Wednesday morning, so that I can earn my deer.

See, I had made arrangements to be camp cook for deer hunting season this year, hoping to earn money and/or deer to help with the horrible debt I now owe as a result of replacing my 80+ year old roof. Needless to say, I will not be getting credit for the whole week of deer camp, but it looks like I will at least get something.

I had a message on my phone last night from mia madre - crackle crackle, static crackle "got" crackle "heart" crackle static "bring knives." And then dead air. See, they don't get good reception up there due to the huge copper deposit on the homestead, but guessing from the few words I could make out, I either have a deer to butcher when I get up there or my family has decided to become some sort of strange Aztec religionists and are planning a sacrifice in honor of the Thanksgiving Holiday.

So, yeehaw, I will at least have free protein for half the upcoming year! It's something anyway, although donations towards the new roof are gladly accepted.

2 comments:

joshhill1021 said...

First, what the hell does the DOE care when you take vacation, I know they do, but it still makes no sense.

Second, I am hoping that you have a deer, but human sacrifice may not be a bad idea. I nominate any of the Republicans running for president.

GourmetGoddess said...

The DOE schedule a major grant proposal due for the Monday following Thanksgiving. Which basically means it needs to be done before I leave. And we have been wanting to submit for this opportunity, so it must be done. Which means no vacation for yours truly.