Musing on food and cooking ...

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A Fun Meme

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123.
3. Find the first five sentences.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

So I am currently rereading Stiffed by Sunsa Faludi, but that is at home on top of the laundry hamper in my bathroom, so no go there. And here at the office I am overwhelmed by a plethora of books all within equidistance, as I keep nearly all my femnist theology books here for easy access, in case a student ever asks a question (hahahahahahahahaha). So I shall select the book closest to me that has nothing to do with my work and I have no idea why it is even at the office.

Curry: A Tale of Cooks & Conquerors by Lizzie Collingham

A train of 850 camels, 140 elephants, 250 horses, and 12,000 personnel stretched across the plain for ten miles, raising a cloud of dust that must have been visible for miles. This was travel in the style of the Mughal emperors, whose effect as they passed over the country was that of a plague of locusts. Besides the damage done to the farmers' fields, the Mughal camp would requisition all available food to supply the entourage and leave hunger and misery behind them.

No comments: