Musing on food and cooking ...

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Today's Episode, In Which My Reality Is Wrenched Back Into Place

My Glamour magazine came in the mail last night. I am not sure why I get it, because it is truly a terrible thing for women's self-esteem, values, and goals, but I guess I find it to be a bit of distracting mind-candy that doesn't really hurt. Not really.

So, anyway, I was reading the article it had about America Ferrera, star of Ugly Betty, who I find to wonderful and cool and funny and smart, and completely fantanstic for making it as a big girl in an emaciated girl's business. When what do I read? She is a size 6-8 on the bottom and a size 10 on the top. Reality wrenched as I realized that I had been thinking of her as a big girl, when actually she is smaller than the average woman. And then I realized that Galmour et al probably does hurt me more than I can say, if I am starting to think of someone who is a size 10, at most, as a curvy girl. God/dess, if that is the case, even at my skinnest that makes me akin to the White Whale.

3 comments:

teryn j. said...

It's sad that to the folks at Glamour, she probably *is* heavy, curvy, and therefore unattractive in some way. I don't even watch the show, but now I'm going to look her up. She's not Glamour-perfect, which means she must be beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Unsubscribe! I prefer Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine. So much nicer.

Brave Sir Robin said...

All this time, I thought I was the only person in America who realized she isn't a "big" girl.

We have become so accustomed to air-brushed, photoshopped anorexic actresses we are no longer able to distinguish what a normal woman looks like.

Another reason I am in love with Kate Winslet.